I was lucky enough to get in last year and am going to try my hand at it again with a new manuscript. One of the best things about entering Pitch Wars is the wonderful people you meet who are also tossing their manuscripts into the ring.
Why enter again?
Same reason as last year. I want to work with someone who can better my writing and my manuscript. I'm open to tearing it down and building it back up if that's what it needs.
I'm looking for a mentor to push me and call me on things. Some of my favourite comments from critique partners are ones that point out a problem and tell me I can do better. I'm here to learn. So let's get to work!
My editing style is binge editing. I do better when I edit in large chunks at a time. I've tried swapping a chapter a week with people, but it doesn't work for me. Binge editing lets me immerse myself in the story and characters so I can really get into the flow. I'm not one to do things half way. I'm a go big or go home type of person.
What do I write?
If you don't know me from last year, I usually write adult contemporary fantasy, urban fantasy, and speculative fiction. I tend to write on the darker side and don't always believe in happily ever after for my characters. My characters are usually stuck with happy for now if I'm being nice.
I like characters who banter, are sassy and broken. If I can throw some weird in there as well, I will, though my Pitch Wars manuscript doesn't have that. What it does have is a female lead who meets my mentioned criteria, plus she's a Pagan and bi. She breaks my heart because she won't let herself have anything good.
A Little About Me...
This is always the part I struggle with...what do I share?
Favourites is always a good place to start....
Some of my favourite reads are:
- Interview With The Vampire
- The Witching Hour
- Daughter of Smoke and Bone
- American Gods
- Harry Potter
- Geek Love
- Plus one from a PitchWars mentor but I won't say because I wouldn't want to be accused of sucking up.
I don't watch a lot of television my favourite shows at the moment are:
- The Handmaid's Tale (I LOVE this series!)
And Now The Fun Stuff...
Other exciting facts about me:
- I've read Tarot cards for over 25 years (wow, that's a long time). During that time I've mentored people, written articles for the Canadian Tarot Network, and did readings over the internet and at events.
- I live in a house once owned by the mother of the original author of the Hardy Boy's series.
- I LOVED Nancy Drew books when I was young (the New Case Files, not so much the original ones).
- Music has always played a big role in my life and I usually listen to music when I write. Though there are some songs that come on and demand I take a rock out break.
- I co-host #DarkLitChat on Twitter once a month with one of my CPs.
- Sarcasm is my second language.
Thanks for taking the time to pop by and get to know me a little better. Hope I've managed to entertain you somewhat.