Friday, December 9, 2016

Favourite Books I Read In 2016

This year I found it hard to get into many of the books I read. I don't know if it was just me because I was restless much of the year, or if it was the books I choose. Maybe both. Holding my attention was not easy this year.

One habit I started (not sure if it's a good or bad one) is reading multiple books at once. If something's not holding my interest, I'd start something new but continue to pick away at the other book. I also don't really like reading on devices, so I usually have an e-book on the go for times I feel like reading off a screen (usually when I'm eating or stuck waiting somewhere) and a physical book that I read before going to sleep.

This year I read 30 books (I likely won't finish another before year end), which seems sort of low. But if you factor in the manuscripts I read for people the number is higher.

Here are my favourite reads for this year in order I read them:






BLACKBIRD SUMMER by Em Shotwell

This debut novel is fantastic! I loved the characters, the world, the story. Confession...it made me cry...more than once. I push this book on everyone I know. I now own a second copy that I can loan people. I can't wait for the sequel!

You can read my review on it here and an interview I did with Em here.
Find it on Goodreads.









TIGER LILY by Wende Dikec

Another wonderful debut novel. It's a young adult story that's fun, quirky, and kept me reading. This one also caused me to shed a few tears.

You can see my full review here and an interview I did with Wende here.
Find it on Goodreads.











IRON DRUID CHRONICLES by Kevin Hearne

I have such a love-hate relationship with this series. I read a few this year and am all caught up. I love the world, the characters, but I find there are things Hearne does that make me hang my head and keeps this from being my fave series. It gets big bonus points for making me laugh, often.

I did a review on Hounded and Shattered.
Find it on Goodreads.








THE REBURIALISTS by J.C. Nelson

This was my biggest book hangover this year. I carried this book everywhere, reading constantly, losing sleep (one night my husband asked me if I was ever going to turn off my light). I was totally useless until I finished this book. I made my husband read it when I was done, my cousin is next in line for me to force it on (not that I had to twist her arm, she likes books like this).

I did a review, which you can see here, and an interview with the author here.
Find it on Goodreads.








SERVANTS OF FATE TRILOGY 
by Wendy Sparrow

This was a guilty pleasure read. I don't read much romance, but I loved the characters, the witty banter (made me laugh out loud), and the sweet story. I write a lot of darker, emotionally intense stories, so it's nice to read something light every now and then.

I reviewed The Naughty List last year, which featured the first novella Stealing Time. You can read that here.
Find out more about this sweet paranormal romantic series on Goodreads.





I'd love to hear what you thought about any of these reads or what your favourite reads in 2016 where.

No comments:

Post a Comment