Monday, March 7, 2016

C is For Chimera Book Review

I was fortunate to receive an ARC (advance reader copy) of the anthology, C is for Chimera, edited by Rhonda Parrish. Though I was provided a copy of the book by the editor, please know that all opinions are my own.

C is for Chimera is twenty-six stories, each by a different author, ranging from fantasy, to steampunk, to sci-fi, to strange (in a good day). Some of the stories have the mythological creature, some use the concept of transformation, some use both.

With so many stories, I can't give a synopsis of each one, but what I can say is that I was amazed at the variety of the stories. There was such a wide selection that there is bound to be something in there for almost everyone. I found most of the stories darker in nature, which is my preference.

The blurb on the website hints at
some of the stories:
A shadow tells a tale of schoolyard bullies. A long-vanished monster returns from the cold dark. Make-up makes up a life. Alchemy, Atlantis, and apocalypse. These 26 tales bring both chaos and closure to dark and elusively fantastic geographies.

I enjoyed many of the stories, with their darker tones and twisted plot. If I had to pick a favourite, it would be U is for Uncoded by Samantha Kymmell-Harvey. It's a story set in the near future where genetics are used to cure a woman's cancer and it starts to change her. I don't want to give anything away.

Some of the stories weren't my speed, which is something you usually find with anthologies, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's all subjective. Stories I wasn't fond of, someone else may love.

I recommend picking up a copy C is for Chimera if you like strange and twisted stories, are a fan of fantasy or sci-fi, or are looking for something different.

To learn more about the anthology to be released April 12, 2016, visit the Poise and Pen website or Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment